Marriage Visa in Thailand

Marriage Visa in Thailand

If you are married to a Thai or have a child in Thailand then you can apply for what is called the Thai “O” visa. The visa is known at the Thai embassy as the “O” visa which means ‘other’. This is more of a family visa for Thailand than a marriage visa. If you are visiting family in Thailand you can also apply for a “O” visa. Most usage tends to be by those who are married to a Thai so over the years it was called the marriage visa.

When you apply for the visa at the Thai embassy then you need to have the following documents:


  • 1. Marriage Certificate;
  • 2. Copy of your passport;
  • 3. Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (House Papers);
  • 4. Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card;
  • 5. Copy of your Thai child’s ID card if it is a family visa application


Depending on where you apply for the visa it is normally an overnight process. Once you hand this in at the Thai embassy you can normally collect the visa the next afternoon. In Asian it normally takes 2-3 days to get the visa issued and they refuse to issue more than 2 of these visas back-to-back. Check with the Thai embassy before you apply as to what it is that they will allow. Once you enter Thailand with this visa you will have 90 days stay in Thailand. This can be extended to 1 year if you meet the financial requirements for the visa meaning that you can meet the following standard and documents needed.

  • 1. Copy of your Thai bank account showing 400,000 THB in the account; or
  • 2. Copy of your Thai bank account showing an income of 40,000 THB each month;
  • 3. Photos of you are your Thai wife or Thai children together;
  • 4. Map to your house or apartment in Thailand;
  • 5. Copy of your marriage certificate;
  • 6. Copy of your Thai wife or Thai child’s housepapers;
  • 7. Copy of ID cards of your Thai wife or child.


Once this has been done it normally takes 3-4 weeks to get the visa extended in Thailand. Most in Thailand use the services of a lawyer in Thailand or a visa agent in order to get all the paperwork in order as the rules do change. As an example they used to require that the 400,000 THB had to be in the bank account for at least 3 months. This has now changed to 1 months. Check with a lawyer about what the current rules are and how best to extend your visa in Thailand.


Call us today!